Thursday, April 19, 2012

120415 I Quit! Series Introduction

Nobody should ever have to watch me dance.  I guess it's okay to tell you now: if the US military needed information from a suspected terrorist, and nothing else worked, they were prepared to fly me in to perform my best Michael Jackson.  Actually, even my waltz would suffice...

Because I could sing pretty good and act okay, I got leading roles in plays and musicals while in high school.  The director quickly learned that if I was in a big dance routine, the best she could do was stick me in the middle, singing, and have people dance around me, otherwise the show would close after just one night.

In an effort to prove she could transform anybody into a dancer, our choreographer pulled me into a talent show number with a bunch of actual dancers.  I was absolutely horrible!  People literally wondered why I was allowed to dance with such mockery, ruining the performance.  But I actually tried!  I should have quit after the first rehearsal.  I didn't quit, because you're not supposed to quit.  If you commit to something, you should stick with it, right?

Most of the time, we deal with the obstacles by persevering.  Sometimes we get discouraged and turn to inspirational writing, like stuff from Vince Lombardi: "Quitters never win and winners never quit."  Bad advice.  Winners quit all the time.  They just quit the right stuff at the right time.  Seth Godin, The Dip

Where was Seth Godin when I was a senior in high school?  In his little gem of a book, The Dip, Godin provides numerous examples of people who appropriately quit, and others who stuck it out.  In short, Godin recommends that every person

Quit the wrong stuff.
Stick with the right stuff.
Have the guts to do one or the other.
- Seth Godin, The Dip

I should have used that dance rehearsal time focusing on my singing, perhaps, or other studies.  Dancing was the "wrong stuff" for me.  It only wasted my time and hurt the people in the act.  Godin notes that quitting in an of itself is not the point, however.

Strategic quitting is the secret of successful organizations.  Reactive quitting and serial quitting are the bane of those that strive (and fail) to get what they want.  And most people do just that.  They quit when it's painful and stick when they can't be bothered to quit. - Seth Godin, The Dip

Strategic quitting is what Geri Scazzero began to do when she couldn't live another day in the rut that trapped her.  She wrote a book about her successful and strategic quitting that transformed her life from strained and stressed to a life of passion and thoughtful pace.  According to Scazzero, our strategy comes from Christ, who lived and modeled what it means to be immersed in and informed by the Kingdom of God.

This is a book about following Jesus and summoning the courage to quit anything that does not belong to his kingdom or fall under his rule.  - Geri Scazzero, I Quit!

In the Bible's book of Ephesians, the writer talks about people who have chosen to ignore the Way of God seen in Christ.  They live foolishly, sticking with stuff they should be quitting.  The writer implores his readers to cast off their old self and put on their new self - the one breathed into life by God, so that they may experience all the joy God has for them.  God has renewal in mind for us.  But we have to make room for the new by dying to - quitting - the old.

Quitting is about dying to the things that are not of God.  Make no mistake, it is one of the hardest things we do for Christ.  But the good news is that quitting itself isn't just an end; it is also a beginning.  Biblical quitting is God's path for new things to come forth in our lives, for resurrection.  And yet, the path that leads to resurrection is never easy. - Geri Scazzero, I Quit!

As remembered in the Bible's book of Mark (8:35), Jesus was pretty clear about this reality of letting go of some things and embracing others:

Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You're not in the driver's seat; I am. Don't run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I'll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to saving yourself, your true self. What good would it do to get everything you want and lose you, the real you? What could you ever trade your soul for?

Speaking from his own experience and those he witnessed, in the Bible's book of Galatians (5:22-23), Paul shares the following insight:

But what happens when we live God's way? He brings gifts into our lives, much the same way that fruit appears in an orchard—things like affection for others, exuberance about life, serenity. We develop a willingness to stick with things, a sense of compassion in the heart, and a conviction that a basic holiness permeates things and people.  We find ourselves involved in loyal commitments, not needing to force our way in life, able to marshal and direct our energies wisely.

Sometimes we try to skip the part where we let God take the lead in our lives.  Our pride and arrogance tell us we can make it happen all by ourselves.  Geri Scazzero tried this, too.

I used to try to produce, through my own efforts, the fruit of the Holy Spirit.  But I found out that when we do life God's way, fruit simply appears in the orchard. - Geri Scazzero, I Quit!

This series is going to be about quitting.  Quitting stupid stuff we all struggle with in order that we may embrace what God has for us.

I have been the pastor of this church for longer than any other before me.  One of the benefits of being around so long is that I have known many of the people in my congregation for over a decade.  CrossWalk really is a community of amazing people.  But we're human - every last one of us.  We all struggle to shed our old clothes - our old selves - and put on our new clothes - our new selves - that we have been provided.  Minor changes are pretty easy to pull off, and we all make shifts in our lives when we embrace Christ.  Genuine transformation, however, is incredibly challenging.  If we are going to really see this thing through, we're going to really need each other's love and support.  

This series is about quitting behaviors that are deeply rooted within us.  Some of the areas are uncomfortable for us to talk about, because they require vulnerability, and to admit that we struggle with some of these issues may feel like we're weak.  Geri Scazzero showed great courage, however, in admitting her weakness in overcoming many of these issues.  Eventually it led to her overcoming them.  

If you feel this hits too close to home and don't want to tell your supportive community that you struggle with some of this stuff, just say you know somebody who struggles with this stuff and talk about them.  That always fools them.

It is possible that this series will be the catalyst for many to take a major step forward in their life with Christ.  That's not up to me, or God, it's up to you.  The potential "God experiences" before you are largely unknown, perhaps, but are profoundly better than what we have experienced thus far in our journey.  Will we...

Quit the wrong stuff?
Stick with the right stuff?
Have the guts to do one or the other?

No comments: