Sunday, July 26, 2009

090726 What's Your Story?

Agnostic/Athiest. When I first met Diondra Marchus, I felt very old. She was seventeen. She was one of half a dozen or so young women trying out for the lead role in Napa High’s production of the musical, South Pacific. I was there because I was going to play one of the lead male roles, and the director wanted to look for a good combo. Before the auditions began, the girls were asking me what shows I had done in the past, and what roles I played. I remembered the shows well enough, but I couldn’t remember some of my characters names. I did most of those shows before these young thespians had drawn their first breath. Did I mention that I felt old? I was literally twice Diondra’s age.
Diondra had the world by the tail. She was full of life, confidence, and passion. She was bright, talented, and already lived with social consciousness. What I didn’t know was that she was also a functioning agnostic or maybe even an atheist. She knew I was a pastor. Where might this story go?
I knew that the cast was aware that I was a pastor, and that my behavior was likely to be scrutinized, and that whatever I did, good or bad, was probably going to be reflected on Christianity and Church. Knowing Napa’s culture, I decided to simply “be me”, do my best in the role, and hopefully avoid doing any damage to the work of the Kingdom in spite of myself. Recurring thought: Don’t blow it. Looking back, I’m glad I took this approach. What would have happened if I was a jerk? Would that have negatively affected Diondra’s story as well as others?

Life Happens. The next time I saw Diondra was over a year later. One summer Sunday, she and her mom, Dominee, showed up for worship. Strange thing for an agnostic/atheist to do… Turns out God had been working on Diondra through a range of circumstances and people as her life was unfolding. She had lots of questions. As it turned out, that very week I was taking a group of people to catch Rob Bell’s Everything Is Spiritual tour – pretty convenient timing, huh? Coincidence? Diondra and Dominee joined Lynne and me and a bunch of other CrossWalkers. We had a great dinner, loved the show, and had a great after-burner conversation before heading home. I remember thinking that the timing was uncanny, and that this would have to have a fairly profound impact on anybody who came. And I remember feeling so grateful to be part of the process in some small way – getting to see things happen up close and personal.

Kingdom Centered. Over the next few years I got to watch as God worked in Diondra’s life – through her struggles, through her maturation, through her passion. I got to be in on her process as she faced challenging personal issues, and also as she experienced judgment first-hand from the pain-inflicting ignorance of well-meaning Christians. Helping bring clarity to biblical issues relating to gender and justice was a fun dialogue for both of us, I think.
Her vision for what she was going to do with her life moved from show business to changing the world by ushering in the Ways of God (Kingdom). Her focus today is in realizing that when the Kingdom is the first thing sought, everything else really does fall into place (I guess Jesus knew what he was talking aboutJ). The world is going to change for the better, for the Kingdom, as Diondra moves forward with God in hand. Next stop? Deborah’s House for the next year, serving Tijuana’s women who have no hope because of their extreme poverty – they are easy victims of abusive men and human trafficking. After that? Who knows. But as God continues to shape her, more of the Kingdom is likely to come. What a blast. What a privilege to see it up close and personal.
What you can do. Pray for Diondra – her health, safety, and impact as she serves in a Third World country just across our border. Help her financially by kicking in $30/month toward missions here at CrossWalk.

Think…
  1. Who was instrumental in your story? How did they help you come into relationship with God?
  2. In whose story are you playing a role? How is your “performance” affecting God’s work in other people’s lives?
  3. What challenges are you facing right now? How are you allowing God to use your current trials to shape you for the better instead of making you bitterer?
  4. How are you involved in helping other people walk through their struggles in ways that will be redemptive?
  5. How is God calling you to serve? What risks are involved? What’s the potential payoff if you choose to take a leap of faith?
  6. How are you supporting others in their respective leaps of faith – are you a cheerleader or wet blanket?

May you celebrate every step of the way in your journey with God,
knowing you are loved forever, and your steps are not in vain.

No comments: