Sunday, March 3, 2013

130303 Credo


Clarifying what we actually believe, and then applying that to who we are and what we do, is an ancient practice that yields much fruit. Below is a brief sketch of some of my beliefs about Jesus. I use some traditional language, but don’t be surprised if the way I state my beliefs sounds at least non traditional if not heretical…

I believe Jesus was more in flow with the Spirit of God than any person who ever lived before or since. In Jesus we see incarnation at its best. That’s why I follow Jesus and his teachings about life and God.

What do you believe? What difference does it make?

I believe Jesus modeled humility in his words and actions, all the way to the point of his martyrdom. He was nonviolent at a time when those around him clamored for an uprising. As his follower, I strive to do the same.

What do you believe? What difference does it make?

I believe Jesus was clear about the cost of doing life the way he discovered and taught. Following Jesus requires a massive paradigm shift – very different from the way the vast majority of people live and think. That’s part of what makes it so tough – the Way is narrow and often lonely, and most people are flying along on the freeway, unawares. As his follower, I choose to join him on the narrow, challenging path that leads to life.

What do you believe? What difference does it make?

I believe part of Jesus’ mission was to help his disciples be in the flow of the Spirit, too, and they were. I have experienced the Presence of God as a communion of sorts. I have experienced his leading and inspiration. I have experienced healing. I have experienced great comfort at times of struggle and loss. As his follower, I consciously strive to be in the flow of the Spirit, too.

What do you believe? What difference does it make?

I believe Jesus came to provide a prophetic voice to the world. To those who assumed they had little value in God’s eyes because of the actions of the world that dominated them, he came to tell them that they are loved deeply and infinitely by God, and that they were not alone. To those who had the power to change things, Jesus spoke boldly, challenging the worldview they had adopted that was keeping the world just as it was. Jesus challenged greed and all of it’s cousins – together they have kept God’s presence from restoring and renewing this beautiful creation. As his follower, I am called to bring love and grace to those who feel none, and a word of truth to the comfortable who have neglected their role as stewards in this world.

What do you believe? What difference does it make?

I believe Jesus embodied forgiveness and grace. As one in the flow of the Spirit, he pronounced forgiveness of sins to countless numbers of people. Their confidence in its truth must have been strengthened by what they saw in his eyes and how they felt in his presence. All of this took place long before the cross, and did not require sacrifice on their part. This was Truth trumping tradition. Jesus did that on a regular basis. As his follower, I am called to pronounce forgiveness of sin, too, because we can be confident in the grace of God to be sufficient.

What do you believe? What difference does it make?

I believe Jesus taught about the afterlife, and was living proof of its reality as many people saw the resurrected Christ after his death and burial. While I believe there is more mystery than certainty about what that experience will be like, I believe the overwhelming picture is one of being fully immersed in the Presence of God, where we are stripped of all that is not of God, and live on in the freedom of Spirit, unencumbered by all that inhibits us in this world, in these bodies. As his follower, I look with hope-filled confidence to that day.

What do you believe? What difference does it make?

I believe that the salvation Jesus came to bring is rooted in the Jewish concept of shalom. To be saved is to be restored, renewed, healed from all that sin is and does. “Sin is the culpable disturbance of shalom.” God’s dream is to restore shalom everywhere for everything. I think that’s what he was talking about in John 17:3. As his follower, I pursue the salvation God is working in me, encourage fellow Jesus followers to do the same, and share the news of this salvation with those who have yet to hear.

What do you believe? What difference does it make?

I believe that embracing the fullness of what Jesus taught and modeled changes our lives for the better. We become more whole. We become better people. Better partners. Better parents. Better employers. Better employees. Better citizens. Better everything. And that, in part, brings shalom wherever it goes. As his follower, I strive to become the best “me” I can be with the guidance and strength of the Spirit.

What do you believe? What difference does it make?

I believe Jesus gave us a call to reach the world with the Good News he brought. We are to move into the world with this news. We are driven by a blend of compassion and obedience. As his follower, I will be and proclaim the Good News of Christ gracefully where the Spirit leads.

What do you believe? What difference does it make?

1 comment:

Loren Haas said...

The author of "Genesis for Normal People" wrote something in his blog that is a spinoff of this teaching.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/peterenns/2013/03/why-i-dont-believe-in-god-anymore/

He says he does not "believe" in God anymore, but is more interested in trusting Him. In pastor Pete's words, "What difference does it make?" In the New Testament, the demons "believed" in Jesus, but what difference did it make to them?