Sunday, October 28, 2012

121028 Walk with Me: What's in a name?


Mark’s Gospel had an agenda.    Mark’s author wanted to convey a composite picture of Jesus – and a compelling one at that – so that his hearers would have the capacity to make an informed decision about whether or not Jesus was worth following.  In his book, we see Jesus as one who has authority over unclean spirits, as a healer, a wisdom teacher, a proponent of social justice, and a movement initiator and leader, all wrapped in the persona of a Jewish mystic/prophet.  Quite a package.  Mark 3:7-12 gives us an overview of Jesus’ ministry.  He was popular among a wide range of Jewish people, with a scope beyond what John the Baptist commanded.  People were coming to him to see and experience healing and exorcisms.  Jesus offered them a bonus: wisdom regarding walking with God.  In that passage, we see again unclean spirits identifying Jesus as God’s anointed one, and Jesus taking away their voice (as he cast them out of their host).

Name it, claim it, tame it.  Naming our enemies gives us more control over them.  First century Jewish peasants believed this is why the demons used the name of Jesus, and why, on some occasions, Jesus sought the name of the demon.  On the one hand it seems a little superstitious, like the Rumpelstiltskin story.  Naming our issue, however, is a big part of overcoming it, because it means we are aware of it, no longer in denial, and can then take steps to deal with it.  But if we remain in denial, or dark ignorance, we simply perpetuate our painful reality – we aren’t managing the issue, the issue is managing us.  Recovery programs see success because they begin with identifying the obvious problem (which often is symptomatic of deeper problems, right?).  But it goes way beyond substance abuse.  Anger management, depression, substance abuse, obsessive and compulsive behavior, marital conflicts, personal finance woes, personal health problems – none of these issues disappear with denial – they just keep on destroying us.  In the ancient world, to know or understand a subject or person was to gain control or mastery over it.  Have you named your issues?  Or have your issues named you?

Sometimes naming comes with maturity and reflection.  There are some layers that cannot be addressed before earlier layers are unearthed.  Years need to pass sometimes.  A couple of years ago I discovered some painful stuff buried in my formation history that just blew my mind – foundations for insecurities that I could never pinpoint until some reading opened me up.  I know I had to live through some years, wade through some muck before I was able to get to that stuff.  I had to be open and honest with myself about myself, which requires the swallowing of pride.  I think one of the most sobering and healing things we can do is to be humble about ourselves, and realize that we all have some really painful stuff running in our veins.  I think this is important because it helps break down our defensiveness when we’re called on our stuff.  Nobody likes to be called on their stuff.  Especially if we don’t think we have any stuff…

Son of Man, Son of God.  Jesus didn’t disagree with what these demons were saying about his identity – and was this audible for everyone, or just Jesus? – but he did take away their voice.  This meant that naming him didn’t trump Jesus – the demons didn’t have Jesus under their control.  Silencing them at this point is interesting, and worth thinking about.  Mark wants us to recognize that Jesus’ fullness in his role would be incomplete apart from the cross.  The idea of what Son of God, servant of God, anointed of God meant had to incorporate Jesus’ most shocking choice – sacrificing himself for the sake of the cause.  It was only when Jesus laid his life down that the centurion said he surely must be the son of God (Mark 15:39).  Mark wants us to understand that the Christ we follow isn’t Iron Man, or the Hulk, or even Captain America.  Christ is one who lays down his life in a radical act of non-violence to thwart the powers of this world.  The Son of Man isn’t the Son of God apart from laying himself down for the work of redemption in the world.  The fullness of the name requires the full expression of Jesus’ life – not just the fun stuff of exorcism, healing, teaching, protesting, and leading – but to lay it all down for the cause of bringing more and more of God and God’s Way into the world.

Aside: despite the Christian tradition’s emphasis on the sacrifice of Christ atoning for the sins of the world, I really wonder if we fully appreciate the depths of what the Passion represents for how people thought of God, Messiah, and how God would choose to redeem the world.  It is weird that the apocalyptic vision the early church had went right back to a Christ who would return wielding a sword, leading the deadly assault on all God’s foes.  How does that fit with the cross?  Would the earliest disciples still hold to that same way of thinking today?  I don’t think so.  If we have a similar eschatological understanding where the world ends with a militaristic finale – which is what the Jewish leaders envisioned in Jesus’ day – I wonder if we would miss the messiah just the same way they did.  Or, I wonder if we are missing Christ even now because we are looking for a sword instead of an olive branch.  I know, I know - warm up the tar and feathers for Rev. Dr. Heretic…

Living up to the name.  If we want to see transformation happen in our world through the power of God, we need to live up to our name: Christian.  Christian means “little Christ”.  To change things the way Jesus changed things requires Christians to act like Christ.  This can be both daunting and inspiring.  My name reminds me frequently of my legacy, because it bears reference to both of my grandpas and my dad, all of whom were great pastors/leaders wherever they served.  Sometimes their legacy acts like a dark shadow cast by giant buildings or mountains – I can feel swallowed up, like there is no way I can live up to what has been done before me.  I think we can feel that way as Jesus followers.  We tell ourselves there is no way we can live the life Jesus did, and we feel defeated before we even begin.  Perhaps there is another way to see…

I have running through my veins the DNA of some incredible people.  I am a continuation of their story.  I am building on the legacy they began long before me, but a legacy intended for future building.  The greatest tribute I can offer my parents and grandparents is to use all they have given me and do the best I can to continue following God where God leads.  As a Jesus follower, I believe that I have the same Spirit giving, animating, healing, empowering, and guiding me as Jesus had.  I am not Jesus, but the resources he had he shared freely with all who would embrace and integrate them into their lives.  When we shift our perspective to the side of possibility, we have genuine hope.  Remember, however, that his core DNA was to love and serve to the point of his personal sacrifice.  A high price.  Redemption, apparently, was worth that price.

The way to reconcile, restore, and redeem the issues we struggle with in our interior world as well as in the world at large require greater courage than that of a warrior.  The courage of a hero is required.  Courage to give ourselves fully to the cause – living up to the Name.  Courage to be honest about our stuff.  Courage to humbly walk with God.  Courage to allow God to speak into our lives, to breathe into our being, that we might be restored by Peace.

I don’t know what you are struggling with today, but I hope you’ll choose not to avoid it.  I pray that you will pursue it until you can name it, so that you can claim it, and then tame it.  There is genuine power there.

I also pray that you will reflect on Jesus’ name, and when Mark wanted his readers to really understand it – at the cross.  As you choose to be inspired to become like Christ – to take on Jesus’ name –  I pray that you will recognize the redemptive potential you have, and willingly, sacrificially offer yourself to what God calls you to do as a person being restored, and as an agent of restoration in a world in need of healing.  That’s what saving the world is all about.

No comments: