Thursday, April 3, 2008

Notes To My Clueless Self

The disciples’ vision was so blurred that they could not recognize Jesus. They were unwittingly distracted by their worldview: they were so sure they knew how the Messiah would come and what he would do once he arrived that they had no mental capacity – no vision – for the actual Messiah, Jesus, when he came. They expected a powerful political leader who would overthrow their oppressor and restore God’s people to world dominance. They certainly didn’t expect Jesus to suffer and die in humiliation like a thief on a cross. Wouldn’t it be tragic if we were so certain of ourselves that we would miss Jesus walking right alongside of us all the while? Note to self: let God decide God’s Way, because I stink at it.

The disciples were also confused by information they could not integrate: reports that Jesus rose from the dead just didn’t make sense – why would that happen and what does that have to do with Jesus being the long-awaited Messiah? They didn’t see the biblical connection because they didn’t want to see this reality – they were in denial about what their own scriptures were telling them. Wouldn’t it be awful if we never got beyond “dazed and confused” because we refused to continually learn? Note to self: be a life-long learner.

Once again, through Jesus we learn that God doesn’t give up on us. Note to self: my idiocy can never trump God’s grace.

Walking with the disciples in their grief and confusion, Jesus began shedding light on scriptures they had left in the dark. He explained to them that the concept of a Suffering Servant Messiah was prophesied in the writings of Isaiah. He invited them to see things differently. Note to self: it’s God’s Word, so I better allow God to illumine what I need to see.

When they arrived in Emmaus for their lodging that night, Jesus acted as though he was going to continue walking into the evening. This was an opportunity for the disciples to do the right thing – entertain a stranger who needed help. The disciples’ genuine, generous gesture meant that God-in-Flesh would be with them longer, and the Self-reveal would go deeper. Note to self: doing the right thing invites God’s presence.

All of the teaching from the day’s journey, plus the disciples’ hospitality led up to the climactic moment. Their eyes were opened as they together shared bread offered by Jesus – True Communion. Together. With Jesus. Intimate. Holy. Note to self: maybe communion is supposed to be just like that – experiencing God’s presence in the company of people who love God deeply and care about each other dearly.

At that moment, the disciple’s minds and eyes were opened to the identity of their guest, who then disappeared. They immediately ran back to Jerusalem to share their experience with others. Note to self: when I have a God moment – a spiritual aha! – do I urgently share it with others, to encourage them as I have been encouraged? Do I give back out of what I have received or do I selfishly keep it all to myself?

These two disciples learned of other Jesus-sightings. Everybody felt more and more excited about what was happening. Their strength of faith grew significantly. Their confidence was soaring.

The world was about to experience a new day because just a few people understood this Good News Self-reveal. These few invested themselves fully in proclaiming this Good News to as many as they could. In fact, they couldn't help it.

Note to Self: may I be so overcome by the risen Christ that I am changed and seek to change the world with this incredible, hopeful, now-and-forever news.

Process Questions...
1. Are you open to learning new things about God, yourself, your church, your culture, others? Respond to this statement: we only know if we're rigid in our thinking we we're forced to stretch.

2. How have you become aware of the influences that have shaped your expectations about God's Word, Christianity, God's expectations of us, Christ's return, etc.? What is the danger of not being aware of our shaping influences?

3. How has God been shaping you through his Self-reveal in your life over the last week? How has God illumined scriptures, shown his presence alongside of you, been patient with you, etc.?

4. Recall some of your more memorable times when you have celebrated communion. What made those times special? What contributed to the spiritual potency of those experiences?

5. How have you urgently shared your experience of God's presence with others who may need to hear of it? What holds you back? What is the positive potential of sharing such Good News with others?

A Prayer To Consider...
God, I have a tendency to be dazed and confused by my emotions, by my ill-conceived expectations, and by my unwillingness to understand things that are unfamiliar. Forgive me for the times I have been stubborn. Forgive me for the ways I have wittingly and unwittingly hindered your Kingdom's growth in the world. Forgive me for my apathy and arrogance that have led to needless suffering among others in this world. Help me see more of you. Help me understand. Help my unbelief! And as I experience your presence, give me courage to urgently share your joy with those I know who need to hear. May your kingdom come!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for Sunday's teaching. It seems every week gets better and better. I look forward to Sunday and your teaching. Love the music, too.